If you are about to have a tooth surgery, then you might be thinking What to eat after tooth extraction. It’s a tough task to choose your diet after tooth extraction. You would be expecting, liquid diet and soft foods; Which is true but there are many other things for eating after tooth extraction. Many people also ask “What to eat after wisdom tooth extraction?” but the answer will be same.
There are few restriction during your eating process. You are not allowed to eat hard food and if possible to manage then only chew with opposite side of affected extraction side. You are free to eat soft foods like pasta, pancakes, scrambled eggs, yogurt, jello, mashed potatoes. Many people think “can i eat ice cream after tooth extraction?” The answer is YES! Offcourse you can eat ice cream after tooth extraction.
List of foods you can eat after wisdom teeth removal
Here is a big list of foods to eat after tooth extraction/removal (consider it same for wisdom tooth removal)
- Ice cream
- Scrambled Eggs
- Smoothies / Milkshakes / Juices
- mashed potatoes
- Instant Oatmeals
1. Ice Cream : Yeah! You can eat Ice-cream after tooth extraction unless you don’t have any particular sensitive tooth. Here is the reason of why ice cream in on the list of what to eat after a tooth extraction, because it’s cold & soft. It won’t hurt your teeth, on the other hand, will heal the swelling of mouth.
There are also few restriction in the way of eating ice cream after tooth removal that you have to choose your ice cream carefully. You can’t eat hard or need to put force for chewing kind of ice cream. Just choose a soft vanilla, chocolate or any of your favorite flavor ice cream and enjoy that.
2. Soup :
Soups are full with proteins & vitamins. If you are looking for the answer of ‘What to eat after wisdom tooth extraction” then Broth based soups must be your preference. Broth-based soups also help in healing up quickly. So don’t think too much about soup, Just have it. Regardless of tooth extraction, you must have soups in your daily diet to maintain a healthy body.
3. Scrambled Egg :
Eggs have plenty of proteins, so these are beneficial for health. and Scrambled eggs are too soft can be easily eaten by anybody.
4. Yogurt :
Yogurt is very light food and often suggest by doctors for patients recovering from wisdom tooth extraction.
5. Smoothie / Milkshake : Filled with nutrients and proteins milkshakes may be a part of your meal. This won’t hurt your tooth although it will help to fast recovery.
Don’t use Straw for milkshake or smoothie because while using straw produced in the mouth can remove clots & lead you to dry socket.
6. Mashed Potatoes : Potatoes has fiber as it’s main ingredient. Potato needs chewing, but when you mess it, It becomes soft and ready to answer for what to eat after tooth extraction.
Recommended Post : Tackle Toothache at night
What not to Eat after tooth extraction:-
After knowing the foods for eating after tooth extraction, you should know what you need to avoid. List of foods to be avoid has equal importance.
Avoid these foods-
1. Don’t eat any thick grain content. They can hurt your extraction area.
2. Don’t eat Spicy food.
3. Don’t eat acidic foods, they can temper tissues and may be a cause of pain.
4.Don’t eat crunchy food in few starting days after tooth extraction.
5.Don’t eat food which needs to be chew hard, just go for something soft enough.
There are few other frequently asked questions about Foods to eat after tooth extraction:-
Q. Can you drink water before wisdom teeth removal?
- If you are about to have general anesthesia for your tooth extraction surgery, then you are not allowed to eat or Drink anything for 8hours before that time. If you are drinking/Eating anything, then it could be life threatening.
Q. Can you drink water after wisdom teeth removal?
- Yes! Off course, you can, and you must drink a lot of water after wisdom tooth removal. But must not drink any Alcoholic, Carbonate and caffeine drink withing first 24 hours of the surgery.
Q. When can I eat normal after tooth extraction?
- In first 24 hours after tooth extraction you should rely on soft foods & fruit juices. But after 24 hours you can start to eat normal food and increase gradually. In most of the cases, people feels that they are on almost same diet after 1-2 week.
Q. Can I eat rice after tooth extraction?
- Rice have solid particles & isn’t soft enough. But if you are desperate to eat rice then you can eat them.
Conclusion of what to eat after tooth extraction:
Finally, you are sure and aware of what to eat after tooth extraction. And now you also have a list of foods you can eat after wisdom teeth removal. So Enjoy!